Saturday, May 23, 2009

Contemporary Elegance

Last fall I designed a wedding reception cake for a young couple who had been married in Oregon and wanted a cake for their Kansas reception. The bride wanted something contemporary to compliment her cream and black color scheme. I had recently seen cakes designed with alternate items used in place of the traditional pillars and separator plates. By purchasing a black 5 1/2" x 5 1/2" x 3 1/2" square ceramic vase, I was able to get a new look.For this three-tier cake I used smooth cream colored buttercream frosting with piped swirls over the entire surface. I liberally added cream apple blossoms with black centers and pearl stamen to finish the look. By piping some additional black frosting dots I was able to add some more visual interest and dimension.As I assembled everything on-site, the whole look came together. For this reception I was also in charge of the flowers and decor for the cake display table. The bride ordered dark red roses, leather leaf and some filler flowers for me to work with. I made a large arrangement using these for the cake topper and also made two rose and greenery bouquets to flank the cake. Three bouquets finished out the set for the serving table.As I stepped back, it was wonderful to see the entire concept come together in a fresh new way.

No comments:

Post a Comment