Saturday, May 23, 2009

Pink Roses

Roses are beautiful, especially on wedding cakes. The bride for this spring wedding was using bright pink roses for her flowers and also as her main wedding color. The couple needed cake to serve around 250 people. So I designed a center 4-tier cake with pillars between the second and third layers and four 8" side cakes. Each cake was white-on-white with a variation of cornelli lace. I used a #7 writing tip for the lace and a #352 leaf tip for an occasional leaf sprinkled among the lace.
For the main cake I piped the entire top layer in lace and then let it continue down the next layer where it trailed out to dots. I repeated this with the bottom two layers and on two of the four side cakes. On the remaining two side cakes I piped the entire surface with cornelli lace. This cake grouping required a total of 16 layers of cake and multiple batches of buttercream frosting. I baked and assembled for many hours in preparation of the big day. Once I arrived with the cakes at the hotel ballroom reception site, I assembled the main cake and positioned the side cakes. I was thrilled to see the wonderful rose, ivy and baby's breath floral arrangements all ready for the tops of the cakes! Once I had them all placed, I did some final frosting touch-ups and the cakes were ready to go. They made such a pretty picture of pink freshness!

No comments:

Post a Comment